Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Jan. 26

 Hello everyone!

We had lots of Home Reading books to change this morning! Thanks again to everyone who is reading their books together at home and taking the time to fill out the recording page. We've been starting to feel more and more confident choosing more challenging books to take home!

We filled in our calendar and did some counting practice. We also took some time to practice Indigenous words for Winter to add to our Medicine Wheel. We learned that a Cree word for Winter is: pipon. A Blackfoot word that means "It's Winter time," is: Ákaisstoyiiwa. We added them to our Medicine Wheel to match our Fall section.

We read 2 books together this morning called "I can" and "I can be." We took turns volunteering to read a page in front of the whole class! Ms. Byrne noticed that we were looking closely at the words to read the pages, instead of focusing on the pictures. That means we are growing into strong readers! Pointing to each word as we read (print tracking) can be helpful in developing this skill because it helps us to focus on the words that are on the page, making sure we are saying the same number of words (e.g. reading "I can ride my bike." when the words say "I can ride."). It also helps us to notice the first letter/sound of a word we are stuck on. We can practice print tracking at home with our home reading books too! After reading those 2 books together, we took out our journals to write an "I can..." journal. We brainstormed some things that we can do, and then set a goal for everyone to write 3-5 sentences today. We're getting much more confident with our spelling and trying out some words on our own! Take a look at some of our awesome journal work:

Serena wrote "I can read. I can jump. I can play."

Jayla wrote "I can make my bed. I can play the cat game. I can look at my toy. I can make my snowman."

Nathan wrote: "I can play soccer. I can run. I can swim."

Ava wrote: "I can do monkey bars. I can do guitar. I can do hopping. I can do hopscotch. I can do colouring."

After snack and recess, we had some more literacy centre time. Both reading groups today were working on comprehension. That means understanding what we are reading. We were re-reading parts of a story to find information and making predictions about what would happen next in the story. 

We had a guest teacher during our math period. We worked on filling in our addition strategies booklet. Today we reviewed how to add with 0 and 1. Tomorrow, we will be reviewing adding with pictures, and our counting on strategy with dots. 

We practiced our tricky letter sounds, then played a game to review our Wow Words. 

In Science, we read 1 more book about Winter. We discussed that some places do not have weather like ours during the Winter. We talked about why some places have warmer weather than us during the Winter months. Some of us knew about these places, and had even been to them before! We discussed our plans for our Winter picture. We are going to make a checklist to help us make sure we have everything we need in our pictures. We are going to start creating our Winter pictures tomorrow. 

We had P.E. with Ms. Sterne today, and then it was time to go home!

Reminders:
- Monday, Jan. 31st - No School - P.D. Day
- Please remember to use the AHS checklist with your child to check to see if they have any covid symptoms before coming to school. 

Have a great day!
-Ms. Byrne


No comments:

Post a Comment